[Zope-dev] Upper case/lower case problems with Webfolders (WebDAV) on Windows98

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:05:40 +0200

Hi!

I've just come across a very strange problem with regard to folder or object
names and Webfolders (WebDAV) on Windows98:

I had a folder called "HOME" in Zope. In the Windows WebDAV folder it
appeared as "home". As soon as I added one or more lower-case letters,
Windows did the right thing, so "Home" is "Home" in Windows. Windows seems
to use lower-case for all names that are either only lower-case or only
upper-case. This is probably a flawed Microsoft-style compatibility hack
(DOS doesn't know about upper/lower case).

As I see it, there is no way for us to "fix" this on the Zope part. So it
might be necessary to write some documentation on this. Basically: "Do not
use names that are upper-case only if you want to use WebDAV from
Windows98!"

Cheers

Joachim