[Zope-dev] SOAP support: request for comments

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:43:53 +0200

Hi,

> Almost a year ago I did a quick hack which added SOAP support to Zope. It
really
> was something I played with in order to understand what this whole SOAP
thingie
> is about. To my surprise, though, my web server access logs show that
people
> have actually downloaded it :)
>
> Now, one year later, the situation is different (a couple Python SOAP
libraries,
> as opposed to only one) so I'm looking into actually finishing (or
redoing) the
> SOAP support for Zope. For this, I would very much apreciate comments --
> especially from those guys who already used my patch, or think they are
going
> to use Zope and SOAP in the future.

I think SOAP is a very important feature for "selling" Zope. As Toby
Dickenson pointed out, the actual use cases are still a bit rare, but this
might change a lot with the upcoming ".NET" products from Microsoft.

With regards to the implementation, it might be a good idea to try to do it
the "components" way. Though, the new Zope components framework is still
just a vision and proof of concept.

I've set up a Fishbowl proposal for a Zope SOAP implementation a couple of
weeks ago. Feel free to take it over, as I mainly put it onto the
dev.zope.org Wiki to make sure it doesn't get forgotten ...

Cheers

Joachim