[Zope-dev] Bulletproof ZCatalog proposal

Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:23:46 +0100

On Thu, 31 May 2001 10:36:55 -0400 (EDT), Shane Hathaway
<shane@digicool.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 31 May 2001, Toby Dickenson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2001 10:03:31 -0400 (EDT), Shane Hathaway
>> <shane@digicool.com> wrote:
>> >Right now ZCatalog randomly generates ConflictErrors even if there =
are no
>> >conflicts in the data being indexed.  It's quite rare, however, and
>> >there's machinery that retries the entire transaction up to three =
times
>> >when it happens.
>>
>> If the current mechanism is reliable, and efficient (given that
>> conflict/retries are rare) then I dont understand the motivation....
>
>The system becomes less reliable as server load increases.

> Large catalog
>updates (where every object is reindexed) also generate a lot of
>conflicts.

Is that last bit true? I thought 'Update Catalog' created *new*
indexes. There might be a conflict on the root catalog opbject, but
inside the index BTrees.

????

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com