[Zope-dev] Non-undoable storage

Morten W. Petersen morten@thingamy.net
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:05:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hia guys,

during testing of a mail product I've discovered that the Data.fs file may
bloat considerably after storing 50 messages.  Packing the database will
reduce the Data.fs file to 20 MB (from 40 MB).  Another thing is that
storing 50 messages takes a *long time* on a 600Mhz 256 MB RAM system.

The thing that struck me was that transactions may cause a lot of
overhead, both in database size and for execution speed, so, the thing I'm
wondering about is if there exists a non-undoable storage, or something
similar that doesn't support transactions..

Another thing I noticed BTW, is that retrieving 500 messages and packing
the database on every 50th message (all messages retrieved during one
request) would lead to off the charts memory usage, the process ended up
using 700 MB of RAM (had to add swap files as the footprint grew!)

Cheers,

Morten