[Zope-dev] Re: Problems with Transparent Folder and Zope 2.3.3

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:38:29 -0400

On Friday 22 June 2001 06:55, Eric Roby wrote:
> > I'm glad to know the product is being used.  I don't think it will be
> > in the core distribution since it causes a performance hit.
> >
> I use Transparent Folders "HEAVILY" in my site designs.  There are some
> "Gotchas' that I have learned to deal with regards to acquisition, but
> I find their function indispensable.  I am curious what the performance
> hit is that you mentioned??

With transparent folders installed, every attribute lookup has to invoke
a Python method (instead of staying at the C level).  When you use
implicit acquisition, this Python method is invoked very often.
Depending on how much you use acquisition, this could be a significant
hit, though I imagine on most sites it won't be a concern.

CMF skins use a concept similar to transparent folders, but the CMF gets
the problem under control by only allowing transparence in one folder
(the portal root).

If we're willing to start changing things at the C level, however, there
are more options.

Shane