[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:54:16 +0200

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:22:32PM -0700, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:

> Other than keeping the door open for this eventuality, is there any
> other reason to choose a BSD style license over the GPL?
> Unless I've misunderstood something (which is certainly possible), DC
> doesn't seem to have anything to lose by switching from a BSD style
> license to the GPL (or a GPL style license with an additional optional
> attribution clause), and quite a bit to gain.

I personnally would love to see both Python and Zope be GPLed.

However we should take into consideration the fact that this would
mandate that any Zope product should be GPLed too, since in the FSF
view we "link" them to Zope.

The same for Python C extensions, we would link them to a GPLed software
(Python), so they would have to be GPLed too.

That's why I'm pretty sure that unfortunately both Zope and Python
would loose supporters if they were GPLed.

bye,

Jerome Alet