[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:30:49 +1000

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 05:22, Michael "R." Bernstein wrote:
> On 25 Jun 2001 10:26:10 -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > According to management, there's a zope-license list somewhere and we
> > expect to move to a GPL compatible license. Paul says:
> >
> > "I think the goal should be for Zope and Python to converge on the same
> > license, with perhaps the new license being some off-the-shelf license
> > like Apache's."
>
> Hmm. So a BSD style license, then. Are there currently any Zope-derived
> distributions that are proprietary (third-party or DC's)?

Absolutely! We use Zope as a core component in our product that's about to
"hit the shelves".

> If not, does DC anticipate there being this kind of third-party
> proprietary derived distribution in the future?

Absolutely! We have several products in mind that are based on Zope.

> Other than keeping the door open for this eventuality, is there any
> other reason to choose a BSD style license over the GPL?

I think I've answered that question.

We will be distributing the entirety of the source code of all open-source
components of our product. We cannot distribute the source code of our
product - that would be sheer foolishness. We've invested about 2 man-years
in the code, and we're not about to just give that away. Our investors would
string us up!

    Richard

--
Senior Software Developer, Bizar Software (www.bizarsoftware.com.au)