[Zope-dev] Re: Zcatalog bloat problem (berkeleydb is a solution?)

Erik Enge erik@thingamy.net
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:45:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Eric Roby wrote:

> The bottom line to all this venting (and I am not trying to shoot the
> messenger here) is that I need to understand where my efforts should
> be focused.  If I need to abandon ZClasses in lieu of pure Python,
> then I need to know that now so I don't waste any more time on these
> false starts.

If your application can't be written in five minutes and you expect to use
it more than once, you shouldn't use ZClasses - IMO.  The only argument
for ZClasses (that I had at the time) was that it was very easy and fast
to set up a couple of classes and some instances.  After I wrote mk-zprod,
making Python Products is even faster than ZClasses, and certainly scales
better.

If you ask me, it would be better to streamline the Zope API a bit and
focus the effort on making it easier to start developing Python Products
at first go, instead of stopping by ZClasses.  I can't see the rationale
for ZClasses, but I'm sure there is one.  Right?

I seem to recall some fuzz about Python Products starting be "alive" in
the Zope instance (ie. behaving much like ZClasses) in a future release.
I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but if it means ditching
ZClasses I'm all for it.