[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL

Erik Enge erik@thingamy.net
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:37:25 +0200 (CEST)

On 26 Jun 2001, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:

> DC has been up-fron about how they make money. They do so by selling
> development services using Zope as a toolkit/platform.

Yes, and forcing those paying customers to use GPL is very hard (and not
very nice, either).

> Well, I guess the issue is whether you think that redistribution of a
> proprietary version of Zope itself is a good or bad thing.

No, that's not the issue, since I don't believe there will ever be a large
successfull proprietary version of Zope.  I think that is where we differ
in opinions.  Which is something that can only be tested by applying time
on it :).

> As a possible scenario, let's suppose that someone wanted to create a
> content mangement solution for the southeast asian market.

I just don't think it would be very successfull.  Zope isn't the type of
application that would be great as a closed-source one.  I just can't see
that happen; maybe I'm too naive.