[Zope-dev] RE: Experiments with ORMapping

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:01:45 -0500

At 01:30 PM 6/28/01 -0400, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> > I was thinking there would be a default table where everything gets
> > stored by default.  A programmer then tells the ORMapping about
> > specific classes and how to store them.
>
>I wouldn't think it would be practical to use unless the ORMapping
>managed the tables by examining the class signature as metadata. ADO.NET
>has this in reverse, the tools can define classes that mirror a SQL
>recordset. Similarly, references to other objects would need to be
>supported with joins.
>
>BTW, I was going to mention this article
>http://www.vbpj.com/upload/free/features/vbpj/2001/07jul01/sqlpro0107/re
>in0107/rein0107p.asp
>As a 'rah-rah zope' example of RDBMS complexity Zope/ZODB spares us, but
>now it brings up something the ORMapping layer would have to do (perhaps
>with more savvy) to support mixed folder hierarchy among class
>instances.

You might want to look at the DBObjects/SmartObjects development. DBObjects
already allows direct ORMapping, including more restrictive QueryFolders, a
History with Undo functionality (in CVS), Volatile/Persistent Mode, XML-RPC
Support and much more.
DBObjects Home Page: http://demo.iuveno-net.de/iuveno/Products/DBObjects
(Note: The DBObjects Demo is using the older versions.)
DBObjects CVS: http://imail.iuveno-net.de/CVS/cvsweb.cgi/DBObjects/

Accessing the CVS via SSH:
cvs -d ":pserver:anonymous@imail.iuveno-net.de:/cvs" login
password anonymous
cvs -d ":pserver:anonymous@imail.iuveno-net.de:/cvs" checkout DBObjects

I am not the CVS expert, so let me know if it does not work.

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter