[Zope-dev] FTP interface being worked on?

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 02:14:45 -0500

Hi Fred,

I read the serialization proposal... yours is somewhere inbetween what we
have now and where I think we're heading.  I really like the format of your
proposals!  These should definitely go up on the fishbowl.

One thing that I think is important for a FS serialization strategy is that
the filesystem representation of objects should be as simple as possible to
work with.  This means that the filesystem representation of a PythonScript
should look like a Python script, that the filesystem representation of a
DTML method should look as much as possible like a normal HTML document,
etc.  Instead of relying on a single monolithic format for fs reps of Zope
objects (e.g. one expressed in XML), I think each object should be able to
determine its own serialization to filesystem.  Properties and security
settings of each object could be expressed in the contents of a separate
file (e.g. a "resource fork" in Mac terminology, I guess) which would be
related to the actual content via a naming convention.

Tres Seaver has done some work on this with his FSDump product
(http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/FSDump), although it only goes "one
way" at the moment, and Steve Spicklemire has gone a slightly different
route with his ZCVSMixin product
(http://www.zope.org/Members/sspickle/ZCVSMixin/).  I have a proposal up on
the Digital Creations intranet which makes the proposal to leave
serialization format up to each object, and gives some info about possible
implementation strategies.  I need to clean it up and move it over to the
fishbowl at some point, but I hope this email serves as a sort of overview
about what we want to do about the problem at DC... it'd be great to be able
to conserve resources and work on the same problem together.