[Zope-dev] Designing ZPatterns/Python-product-based, reusable applications - take 2

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:31:45 +0000

Itai Tavor wrote:

> This brings up another thing that bothers me: When I started learning
> object models and ZPatterns everyone advocated using Coad notation. Now
> Peter Coad himself is using UML and you're building TransWarp around
> UML. Is this a conspiracy to confuse me?

ZPatterns is very much about objects and collaborations between objects.

The Coad notation is very good for talking about objects like this.

TransWarp is more about classes, and generating customized classes from
a mixture of existing classes and aspects. You can understand aspects as
declarations about how to handle certain kinds of behaviour.

UML is very good for talking about classes and the relationships that
can exist between objects of particular classes.

Often, I tend to think in Coad, but write in UML.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer