[Zope-dev] FTP interface being worked on?

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:14:35 -0500

> How useful/difficult would it be to put the SMB protocol on top of a ZEO
> server?  As serialized formats are build, would this be useful to anyone?

I'm not sure how hard it would be, although currently ZEO servers need not
know about anything but strings (they don't necessarily need the code for
the objects they serve lying around anywhere)... It would be pretty neat to
build some sort of SMB access into a Zope client, although I imagine it
would be very difficult.

I think that I may have lost sight of the fact that the representations
we've been throwing around aren't tied to filesystem reps, really.  They're
generic filesystem-like reps that should probably be used for FTP, WebDAV,
SMB, etc.  They're a great case for an "adapter"  ;-)