[Zope-dev] Object dereferancing Question

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 08:13:08 -0600

"R. David Murray" wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Jeff wrote:
> > I have created a product with a zclass that contains a zclass; classA contains classB.
> [...]
> > Now for the part I don't understand.....
> > I have a page where I would like dynamically display a classB object. I used the following:
> >
> > <dtml-var expr="_.getitem(index_object, 1)">
> >
> > Where 'index_object' is the id of a classB object within the name space (same folder).
> > I thought that this would call the 'default rendering' for the named object, but instead returns the object.
>
> '1' means "call the object if it is callable".  ZClasses are not callable.
> Therefore you get the object back.
>
> See the Renderable Product if you want to fix this <grin>.
>
> --RDM

This strikes me as a bug. How would you all react to making ZClass
instances callable and have their behavior be: look for an instance
method index_html and call it, and failing that, just return the object.

Thoughts?

--