[Zope-dev] ZCatalog, REQUEST, misc.

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 11:38:27 -0400

> On Thu, 17 May 2001, Chris McDonough wrote:
>
> > I'd be curious to know how long a query that involves only a single
> > field index takes, and how long a query that involves only a single text
> > index takes... does each take a roughly equivalent amount of time?
>
> I might be able to check that for you later tonight or during the
> weekend.  What I did to solve my problems was to throw a couple of objects
> around so that I now only have about 50k objects in the Catalog.
>
> Boy it's fast.  I like! :)

Well, that's good, except I thought you couldn't get rid of objects?

> > Or is one much faster than the other?  If one is not much faster than
> > the other, it's a Catalog issue.  If one *is* much faster than the
> > other, it's an Index issue.
>
> Have you guys at DC not done testing on this?

Yes, but not with 1,000,000 objects (see
lib/python/ZCatalog/tests/testCatalog.py).  It would be nice to have such a
report.

> Maybe we could set up a
> "test-group" for each module in Zope, say Catalog/ZCatalog/SearchIndex,
> that before each release, really beat the living shit about of it?  A bit
> more coordinated.

That sounds good!   At least for the Catalog.  Want to be a tester?  ;-)

> > What's an acceptable query time for your application?  Are you sorting
> > the results via sort_on?
>
> Well, actually, the query time isn't that bad (now with only 50k objects),
> it's all the problems a big result-set drags along with it that really
> slows things down.

Still curious whether it's index dependent.