[Zope-dev] Opinions wanted: clean installation (was distribut ion)

Matt Behrens matt.behrens@kohler.com
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:13:56 -0500

Toby Dickenson wrote:

>>and results in
>>too little of an integrity gain to make it the default.

> That statement gave me something to think about. Indeed, as I had described
> it there is little to be gained.
>
> In practice, I share administrative users between instances. The security
> gain is that different instances can use the same product source code,
> without the risk of a compomise spreading between instances.

[snip]

 > It sounds like almost everything is going into VARDIR now, except the
source
 > which is elsewhere. If the data.fs is stored in a directory
 > VARDIR/zope/INSTANCE/var then the whole setup looks very much like the
 > traditional INSTANCE_HOME system ;-)

Perhaps this is when we have the system administrator install into
LIBDIR/zope/site-products (or something similar to whatever it is that
Python does, I forget right now).

The instance admin could symlink out of this, I guess.  To make it
easier, though:

  - ETCDIR/zope/INSTANCE/products could contain a list of products *not*
to use.  This would simplify installation.  I am not sure if this is
even possible though.

  - Symlinks could be added either at startup or by the product install
script.  Hmm, I smell another utility, BINDIR/zopeprod; this could
decipher current Products and install them properly (think zopeprod
install Blah.tgz)

>>I am thinking of making a wiki re all this... good idea?

> mmmmm.

Might have to now anyway to get the product installation folks involved.

Allright, I've got other work to do today, so I'm going to pick up this
thread again tomorrow :-)

--
Matt Behrens <matt.behrens@kohler.com>
System Analyst, Baker Furniture