[Zope-dev] What to do when one mail recipient fails out of several?

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo@hiper.com.br
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:08:36 -0200

Folks, I might be wrong, but I think we are kinda missing the point in
this discussion.

As was mentioned before, the SMTP system operates in a store and forward
mode, and you can never be sure of the arrival of the message just
because the SMTP server in front of you accepted it for delivery

However, once the SMTP server has accepted it for delivery, the SMTP
system will make every efort to notify the sender in case of failure,
whereas if the SMTP server rejects some recipients, it is Zope's
responsibility to notify the user.

So I think that we should be configuring the SMTP server Zope talks to
to accept all e-mail for delivery and check later, so that the sender be
notified of failures, otherwise we end up dealing with a maze of
possibilities for defining success or failure in Zope.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers, Leo