[Zope-dev] SiteAccess improvements

Gary Poster Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:00:39 -0500

Hi.  My main project right now is actually to build a VHM replacement for
myself to solve some needs I had.  I was basing it off of imeme's
enhancements of the original VHM, and will release it quietly when I have a
beta.  This might very well be a new entry in my list of vaporware.
However, I thought you might at least be interested in my goals for the VHM,
to see if you thought they were of interest to you in your planning:

* I need the ability to store arbitrary properties for each virtual host.
In particular, the correlary of my current work is to provide a
CMFVirtualHost tool that stores a sub-portal title, sub-portal skin
information, and other items.
* I need the ability to have multiple domains point to the same folder,
while ideally maintaining the arbitrary properties
* while I'm at it, some regex capability seemed like a reasonable addition.
I hope to come up with a clean UI way of doing regex substitutions (\1 etc.)
as well: anythingNotWww.myhost.com tries to go to
/myCMF/members/anythingNotWww, for instance.
* also while I'm at it, it seems that making the management of the virtual
hosts a little more zope-like would be nice.  Here's where my inexperience
may be become particularly obvious, but... I'm making this a
VirtualHostFolder, similar to a acl_users folder except ordered (so you can
tweak the order that the hosts are checked for a match).   The VirtualHost
objects it contains are not to be actual products but objects the way that
Users.py defines users.  The VirtualHostFolder is not an actual
ObjectManager but just emulates one a bit a la an acl_users folder.

We'll see if I'm barking up the wrong tree as I try to build it this
weekend.  Anyway, this project has to get done very soon for me--either to
complete a beta or decide it can't be done.

I very much like your idea to put it in the control panel but I have no idea
how to do that, and it's not a current need of mine.  I was just going to
make the management constructors regurgitate some exceptions if it wasn't
placed in the root folder or if another one was already there.  The control
panel placement would be nice though, as far as I'm concerned, as long as my
arbitrary properties could still be accessed.

Well, there's some thoughts.  Like I implied, it's probably best to ignore
my vaporware announcement; if I come up with anything not embarrassing I'll
post it somewhere or other soon.

imeme is cool btw.

Gary

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/SiteAccessUsuabilityImprovements