[Zope-dev] SiteAccess improvements

emf mindlace@imeme.net
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:54:28 -0700

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:

> One thing that might be nice - and something I was planning on working on
> relatively soon was a rewrite rule wizard to extend VHM to auto-write
> rewrite rules for use with a front-end Apache/Squid; this would support
> mod_rewrite and Pyredir (a python-based Squid redirector).  The idea would
> be that the rules could be copied by a site admin from their browser viewing
> a VHM management page and pasted into Apache's httpd.conf or a Squid
> redirector's conf file.

I actually want to see this happen as well!  I was thinking I would ask
for an existing path to a configuration file, read that, and dump a diff
in the Zope dir, but your approach works too.

> In the long run, if a "registry" of virtual host monsters is in the control
> panel,

Out of curiosity, why do you want multiple VHM's?

> and could be queried via XML-RPC, it seems an Apache module or Squid
> redirector could be built or modified to make those servers use that data
> automatically!

This sounds really cool.  With both cases, I think one issue is how many
configuration possibilities there are. For example, with iMeme, our
apache says:

<VirtualHost *>
RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{HTTP_HOST}:80/
$1 [L,P]
</VirtualHost>

Which works for all the port 80 virtualhosting you want to do, so the
rest can stay in zope. Now, if you have specific, per-site apache
configuration needs past that point, you have to be smarter.

This is why i was thinking sniff the original config/supply a diff so
that you could do something intelligent- i.e. put the right rewrite
rules in the right VirtualHost directives - but I imagine there's limits
to how flexibly you could do things.
--
ethan mindlace fremen  |  iMeme - The most full featured Zope Host
http://mindlace.net    |  Root, ZEO, MySQL, Mailman, Unlimited Domains