[Zope-dev] FYI for those following Web Services...

Brian Lloyd brian.lloyd@zope.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:04:33 -0500

Hi all -

This is mainly for the zope-dev'ers who have been following the
"Web Services for Zope" project.

Though the project is officially on hold wrt Zope Corp. resources,
I've been able to get some nights & weekends time in on the Python
level aspects lately. For those interested, I've put the Python
package in the Zope public CVS:

http://cvs.zope.org/Packages/WebService/

Some notes about what is there now:

  - The package may end up being renamed, as I wasn't aware until
    recently that ActiveState has a WebService module that wraps
    soapy. I need to contact someone (Gisle, I think) at AS and figure
    out what to do about that.

  - The focus at this point is on validating the architecture and
    interfaces, rather than finishing all of the details. For example,
    we're not really ready for any major interop testing because only
    simple type support is implemented.

  - I have spent a _lot_ of time on trying to provide good documentation
    for this - even if you don't have time to play with the code you
    can still provide meaningful feedback based on the docs! (See the
    html or pdf in the /doc directory in CVS).

  - Most of the major things that still need to be done are in the
    todo.txt in CVS.

I'm really interested in getting some early feedback from folks on
zope-dev who care about web services - partly as a way to gauge
whether there's enough there yet to warrant soliciting input from a
wider audience (ws-dev or other Python web services-oriented groups).

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
Software Engineer  540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com