[Zope-dev] Searching/Indexing/ZODB/SQL/BerkleyDB

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:00:39 +0000

Casey Duncan wrote:

> I'm not sure I want to store the indexes in the ZODB, just index ZODB data at
> a low level.

Ah, okay, and yes, in that case, I am in complete agreement ;-)
(the level I'm aiming at is just to be able to index python objects, I'll leave plugging that into the ZODB architecture
up to someone who understands it better...)

> Yup, I think I have a solution, but it'll involve some coding ;^)

Ooo...care to explain? :-)

> I would rather avoid having to use a relational database unless I have to.
> Perhaps the index pluggability could be made to support different backends
> (like FileStorage et al does).

Yeah, unfortunately, the difficult bit is combining queries:
gimme the results where index1=='fish' and index2 is between 2 and 5kg.

if index1 is in SQL and index2 is in ZODB, for example, how would you go about efficiently combining results?

> > That said, I wasn't aware of Matt's work up until very recently. I'd love
> > to see an Indexer that didn't require an RDB (or BerkleyDB :-P) and scaled
> > to GigaBytes of Data...
>
> Yup, me too.

Well, I'm just purchasing my copy of Managing Gigabytess now ;-)

> OK, I'm available all this week, but I'm not as available the next two weeks.
> Lets find a good time.

I'm available any time and date, just as long as I get a coupla days notice...

cheers,

Chris