[Zope-dev] active listening or parts thereof...

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:17:13 -0500

seb bacon wrote:

>What we need, as Paul suggested about zope-web, is a set of community
>members who are able and willing to contribute 10 hours per week.  I
>think there are very few such people.  I would love to, but I simply
>can't.  The best way of getting such people is to cast the community
>web wider, and draw more people in.  The best way of doing this is
>make zope.org *really good*, I reckon.  I for one will be
>pontificating on zope-web next week.

You know what an interesting about this whole "community involvement"
discussion is that most of ZC monitors the lists on an ad-hoc basis.
 Thus, there's a general notion of who on the lists is aware of what's
going on; should an active list participant ever DIRECTLY send an e-mail
to someone in ZC it would probably get responded to in a very prompt
fashion.  Ergo, there are already in place the necessary parts to raise
issues to a higher awareness; in my mind, the only fallacy is the
assumption that merely posting to the list will guarantee that the
people that need to see it will see it.

I would suggest that those community members who think an issue is
important, privately pick one or two people inside ZC to directly
involve with an issue; that person in ZC may say "I dont have time right
now" but will generally be more likely to take a constructive approach
if they feel an issue has already passed an important hurdle by an
active participant bringing it to their attention.

This is NOT an offer on my part to get sent more home mortgage
refinancing SPAM.  I'm not even volunteering to be a community liason.
 I am suggesting that there are more ways to solve problems than pure
consensus, and that initiative can make all the difference in the world.