[Zope-dev] Web Services for Zope

Brian Lloyd brian.lloyd@zope.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:30:29 -0400

> i've been very curious, what the plan is for attacking the no
> magic problem
> described on the wiki. my understanding is this isn't possible without
> altering the publishing process. i guess i was curious if the
> component based
> publisher that was talked about at ipc9 was ever going to see the
> light of
> day or if there was another strategy that would work as well.

I think that components will ultimately be the answer to this.
You would basically create a "SOAP publishing component" (or
one might be provided but not necessarily activated by default)
and associate it with interfaces supported by the objects that
you want to publish via SOAP.

I encourage people interested in this to be sure to pay attention
to the ongoing component architecture work at:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/

...and be sure to provide any feedback you have. There is enough
detail there now that developers should be able to start getting
an idea of how such a thing would work - or at least start asking
more detailed questions about the grey areas :)

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
Software Engineer  540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com