[Zope-dev] file descriptors on Solaris

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:00:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, John Ziniti wrote:
> Yeah ... something tells me it's a little more complicated than that.

Like recompiling the kernel, quite possibly.  On FreeBSD there's
a sysctl, although you may still have to recompile the kernel in
some cases I think; on Linux you can zap a variable in proc.  On
solaris....who knows <wry grin>.

> Any advice on the other front?  If I can reduce the number of files
> Zope needs to process this request, I'd grumpily agree to do that,
> is Zope opening a file for every <input name="x.name:records">?
> Will using <input name="x_names:list"> help?

I don't see why zope should need so many file descriptors.  But
you may have to start tracing code <frown>.

I have previously noticed a related phenomenon: on FreeBSD when
I start zope, *something* tries to open every possible port
number using a separate file descriptor. They must
then be closed, because after startup only the ports requested
are still open.  I determined this by running lsof and capturing
the output.

In this case, it appears to be benign; the only negative consequence
is the appearance of the "Too many open file descriptors" message
in /var/log/messages.

--RDM