[Zope-dev] compiling Zope 2.4.1 on Mac OS 10.1

Jens Vagelpohl jens@zope.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:17:16 -0400

well, the actual extension does not matter. you could as well specify
something like "--with-suffix=.mary_had_a_little_lamb" if you wanted...

for a more technological explanation, when the compile is done the
executable is copied into the root of the python source tree. by default
the name of the executable is "python".

this would not be a problem if it was not for the case insensitivity of
the HFS file system used by most OS X users. there is a folder named
"Python" in the root of the tree as well. trying to copy "python" into the
root will fail because it collides with "Python".

the "--with-suffix" will produce a binary with that suffix and that will
avoid this collision.

jens