[Zope-dev] A modest proposal: Replace medusa with Twisted

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:11:40 -0400

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 10:49 am, Michel Pelletier allegedly wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:12:24 +0200
>
>  Itamar Shtull-Trauring <lists@itamarst.org> wrote:
> > 1) Medusa is working *now*. This is of course the main reason why not to
> > switch. I dunno how deeply integrated Zope is with ZServer.
>
> ZServer and the Zope application interface through a pretty clean boundary,
> so plugging a different front end, whether twisted or, for example, Apache
> 2.0, would not be a massive re-engineering.

I think a general proposal for "Pluggable front-ends" would be better
received. I know there has been talk about dropping ZServer in favor of
Apache 2.0. What would be nice would be to have options.

ZServer's simplicity in terms of admin and setup is a big advantage,
especially for getting Zope adopted and for testing. If Twisted is equally
easy, it might sub in as a more powerful alternative (There is no doubt going
to be disadvantages for some purposes I think), and Apache 2.0 for the
ultimate in flexibility and scalability at the expense of initial setup,
upkeep and learning curve.

Just my $.02

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org