[Zope-dev] ZPublisher/ZServer interaction (was Re: A modest proposal)

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:16:03 -0500

At 08:00 AM 10/10/01 -0700, kapil thangavelu wrote:

>sadly the distinction between zpublisher and zserver is nowhere near as
>clean, i spent some time looking at it this morning trying to get my server
>of choice using zope. i thought it would be a mid morning hack, but the rabit
>hole follows the class heirarchy deeper and deeper:).  all i have to show for
>my results is zope's output dumped to the server logs. its a start though...
>
>hopefully we get some new religion in the publisher, please...

Hmm...   Check out:

http://cvs.eby-sarna.com/pylib/ZLite/

Specifically, the ZPlumbing module, for several examples of ZPublisher run
loops using CGI and two different FastCGI modules.  I don't know anything
about Twisted, so I couldn't tell you how easy it'd be to use the ZLite
framework for this.

ZLite is the beginnings of my work on a "Zope Lite" distribution.  It's
sort of the "Standalone ZODB" distribution's evil twin - intended if you
want to use almost anything *but* the ZODB and ZMI parts of Zope.  That is,
when you just want the app server without the IDE and application
framework.  Architecturally, it's intended for multi-process, single thread
setups using Apache as a front-end, with FastCGI.

This shouldn't be considered an announcement or a release, btw.  The code
in CVS is production-hardened by years of service (many millions of hits
served), but is utterly without documentation, nor has everything I've
written been checked into CVS yet.