[Zope-dev] ZPublisher/ZServer interaction (was Re: A modest proposal)

kapil thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:25:44 -0700

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 07:16 pm, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:00 AM 10/10/01 -0700, kapil thangavelu wrote:

> >hopefully we get some new religion in the publisher, please...
>
> Hmm...   Check out:
>
> http://cvs.eby-sarna.com/pylib/ZLite/
>
> Specifically, the ZPlumbing module, for several examples of ZPublisher run
> loops using CGI and two different FastCGI modules.  I don't know anything
> about Twisted, so I couldn't tell you how easy it'd be to use the ZLite
> framework for this.

cool. i'm actually not using twisted. i'm using aolserver (aolserver.com). i
didn't use any of the code from zlite, but looking it over i realized that i
was doing things the hard way. i ended up using cStringIO as buffers for
stdin,stdout so i could get a proof of concept working like

stin = cStringIO.StringIO()
stout = cStringIO.StringIO()

Zpublisher.publish_module('Zope', stdin=stin, stdout=stout, environ=env)
stout.seek(0)
conn.WriteConn(stout.read())

> ZLite is the beginnings of my work on a "Zope Lite" distribution.  It's
> sort of the "Standalone ZODB" distribution's evil twin - intended if you
> want to use almost anything *but* the ZODB and ZMI parts of Zope.  That is,
> when you just want the app server without the IDE and application
> framework.  Architecturally, it's intended for multi-process, single thread
> setups using Apache as a front-end, with FastCGI.

interesting, the only other open source python project that i know that uses
these is bobomail.sf.net

> This shouldn't be considered an announcement or a release, btw.  The code
> in CVS is production-hardened by years of service (many millions of hits
> served), but is utterly without documentation, nor has everything I've
> written been checked into CVS yet.

who needs docs when we can have one letter variables:)

thanks

kapil

never let fear of a black cat stop you from walking in a new direction.