[Zope-dev] ZPL2.0

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:17:59 -0500

At 10:38 AM 10/12/2001 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
>Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> >
> > dealing with RMS is tricky period.
>
>I am at a loss as to why anyone bothers ;-)
>
>(nope, this is not an attempt to start a flame war, everybody move along
>peacefully now...)

I am not going to proceed with a war (that will be my only post on that), but

I think someone like Richard is needed. Without the extreme side, the
entire movement would not work out. He is a pain to deal with, I have heard
that his conference requirements (hotels, food ...) are ridiculous and when
I met him I did not have the greatest experience either, but the "Debian
kids" (that are the teens between 14-17 that work on Debian) jumped around
him trying to catch some of his wisdom, like baby-birds try to catch food
from their mom. It was fascinating!

You should have been at Linuxtag 2000. There was this girl with a nice
voice (and sexy dressed, which did not seem to impress anyone at a geek
meeting like this) which sang a song a-cappella and the crowd barely
clapped their hands; only out of good manners. Then Richard came and sang
the hackers song and the crowd was transformed. After Richard was done they
wistled and applauded, and the entire room became alive, even though his
voice and singing was totally bad. It was hilarious!
But this is the type of character the community needs. Someone who has the
power to get a lot of people motivated!

I think Richard is the only individual that is able to attack these large
monolithic companies such as M$ in a way that he refuses to understand
their point of view and they do not understand his. This gives a certain
balance. I think that often Richard only argues with such extreme thoughts
in order to keep the community together. I think, if you would privately
talk with him and he trusts you, his opinions would not be that fanatic as
they seem to be in public.

Remember: He is a public figure and has to represent Open Source in its
**totality**!

Regards,
Stephan

--