[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Are there Graphic Designers?

William Trenker wtrenker@shaw.ca
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 20:54:11 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_vHqiPk7PT2wWqK4vPZQsMw)

--Boundary_(ID_Txd6oWp8Rt/0qJpyGJITGw)

At 08:04 PM 4/4/02 -0300, Lalo Martins <lalo@laranja.org> wrote:
>I propose to base the Zope3 ZMI on the Plone CMF skin (designed primarily by
>the talented Alexander Limi and Vidar Andersen with important coding by Alan
>Runyan), which can be seen at http://plone.org.

Perhaps we should take Lalo's suggestion further and collect a list of
existing designs that show what real graphic talent has been able to
accomplish.  Some of the newer weblogs, wikis, forums, portals etc. out
there are looking almost, well, beautiful.  Here's an example from YABB
(Yet Another Bulletin Board): http://www.yabb.info/community/.  I'm sure
there are many more that might provide inspiration.

As for the perspiration, I realize this doesn't help get the job done.  But
I think Zope deserves to stand out above the crowd and it doesn't hurt to
check out the competition.

One design consideration is how much to rely on CSS.  Looking under the
hood (ie, viewing the source) for some of these "slick" designs reveals
modest to sophisticated dependence on CSS.  But I think the days of
worrying how it's going to look on Netscape 4 should be just about
over.  What say??

Bill

"The commandments of the LORD are right, bringing joy to the heart. The
commands of the LORD are clear, giving insight to life . . . For this is
the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are
not burdensome." (Psalm 19:8, 1John
5:3)    <http://torahteacher.com/>torahteacher.com

--Boundary_(ID_Txd6oWp8Rt/0qJpyGJITGw)

At 08:04 PM 4/4/02 -0300, Lalo Martins &lt;lalo@laranja.org&gt;
wrote:<br>
the Plone CMF skin (designed primarily by<br>
the talented Alexander Limi and Vidar Andersen with important coding by
Alan<br>
Runyan), which can be seen at
Perhaps we should take Lalo's suggestion further and collect a list of
existing designs that show what real graphic talent has been able to
accomplish.&nbsp; Some of the newer weblogs, wikis, forums, portals etc.
out there are looking almost, well, beautiful.&nbsp; Here's an example
from YABB (Yet Another Bulletin Board):
I'm sure there are many more that might provide inspiration.<br><br>
As for the perspiration, I realize this doesn't help get the job
done.&nbsp; But I think Zope deserves to stand out above the crowd and it
doesn't hurt to check out the competition.<br><br>
One design consideration is how much to rely on CSS.&nbsp; Looking under
the hood (ie, viewing the source) for some of these &quot;slick&quot;
designs reveals modest to sophisticated dependence on CSS.&nbsp; But I
think the days of worrying how it's going to look on Netscape 4 should be
just about over.&nbsp; What say??<br><br>
Bill<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
to the heart. The commands of the LORD are clear, giving insight to life
. . . For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His
commandments are not burdensome.&quot; (Psalm 19:8, 1John
5:3)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

--Boundary_(ID_Txd6oWp8Rt/0qJpyGJITGw)--

--Boundary_(ID_vHqiPk7PT2wWqK4vPZQsMw)

---