[Zope-dev] Re: ZMI / JavaScript brainstorm

Charles Y. Choi cchoi@sonicsinc.com
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:43:55 -0700

 >What is wrong with editing the files trough FTP / WebDAV? I've mounted
 >a complete zopedatabase on a directory, and you can edit all files with
 >your favorite editor. Why wanting such editing posibilities in a easy
 >to use , in everybrowser working interface like the ZMI?

In one word: Types.

With ZMI, you can create different methods/objects and then edit them.
The problem is that pretty much every other editor out there doesn't
know a whit about the types of objects/methods they are creating.
Does emacs really know the difference between a python method,
dtml-method, dtml-document, and a page template?  Not likely.

This touches on a larger issue of using ZODB as an object file system,
with all the messiness and painful history that concept has had
(BeOS, OS/2 HPFS, Mac's data/resource forks, MS's upcoming OFS stuff
immediately come to mind).  So far, the best folks have been
able to come up with has been to use filenname extensions, and
you know how many folks are really happy with that idea ... :|

-Charles