[Zope-dev] Speaking of 2.6...

Stefan H. Holek stefan@epy.co.at
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:01:00 +0200

At 16.04.2002 15:44 -0400, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> > I am, as the author of the dtml-set tag, of course willing to
> > commit to the
> > implementation of this tag for 2.6
>
>Ivo - I don't have a problem with the spelling of this. I _do_
>have a problem with the fact that it (your existing release)
>actually stores the variable in REQUEST. If it were to store them
>somewhere more appropriate in the DTML namespace stack, I'd be
>happy to OK it.

Hm, but the REQUEST is where we want the variables to be set! Otherwise
we'd use dtml-let, wouldn't we?. It is my understanding that the dtml-set
tag is just REQUEST.set() with sugar on it (and sweet sugar that is!).
Changing that semantics might (will?) break existing projects that already
use dtml-set (several of mine, FWIW) where the REQUEST is later passed from
DTML to e.g. PythonScripts...

What Ivo does is *exactly* what I want. What would "somewhere more
appropriate" look like? What then would be the difference to dtml-let?

I understand that REQUEST.set()/dtml-set is to be used sparingly in
general, but in some situations there is no alternative. And it appears to
be a widely used Zope(2) idiom as well.

Thanks,
Stefan

--