[Zope-dev] Speaking of 2.6...

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:33:09 +0100

Hi Brian,

Brian Lloyd wrote:

> The hope was always that dtml-let would cause REQUEST.set(...) to
> die out, because it is way too easy for people to get into trouble
> with REQUEST.set(). The hard-headed part of me would rather that
> people *have* to type something ugly, as a reminder that they are
> doing something ugly :^) Having a nice spelling can make it so nice
> that you don't realize at all that you're walking all over request
> variables (especially for newbies).

Urm, I don't really agree with this.

<dtml-let> is like defining a local variable in python.
REQUEST.set is like a global variable, but in Zope terms it only lasts marginally longer.
SESSION.set is also global, but lasts even longer

I find I want to legitimately store a lot of stuff that belongs in the second case where
REQUEST is the perfect vehicle, why is making this smell a little nicer a bad thing?

cheers,

Chris