[Zope-dev] Speaking of 2.6...

Gary Poster garyposter@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:13:38 -0400

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 11:52 am, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> From: "Brian Lloyd" <brian@zope.com>
>
> >   a. dependency / requirement for ordered folder
>
> I agree. But ordering is the simple part of this, and could be done without
> orderedfolder. Does VHF use something else of orderedfolder? I think that
> has been asked before, but I don't remember the answer.

It can take advantage of the OrderedFolder metatype limitations (since
ZClasses seem to mess up the code-based limits, at least in my zopes) but it
doesn't have to.  I had a built-in OrderedFolder-alike that I used for my
initial releases; it would feel like a bit of a step back to return to that
but I suppose I could if folks desired.

> > We've already learned the hard way that the existing SiteRoots
> > and VirtualHostMonsters etc. confuse people. This is partly due
> > to under-documentation, but it is also partly because of the
> > "here, we'll give you several ways to do it!" approach.
>
> Yup. Therefore I think that the host monster shouldn't be included. VHF
> should supercede it.

If there is enough interest in doing this that I don't have to feel like a
"lone maintainer" (i.e., other folks would be willing to step up to bat for
it when I can't) then I'd be more willing.

> There is an alternative, and that is to clean up the enhanced enhanced
> virtual host monster we at Torped have done. It's based on sfm@imemes
> enhanced VHM and just like VHF is makes it possible to have standalone
> virtual hosting without strange apache magic. We added an API to translate
> virtual to physical paths and back.

That would be fine too. :-)

Gary