[Zope-dev] Speaking of 2.6...

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:25:01 -0400

--On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 11:48:12 AM -0400 Brian Lloyd
<brian@zope.com> wrote:

> We've already learned the hard way that the existing SiteRoots
> and VirtualHostMonsters etc. confuse people. This is partly due
> to under-documentation, but it is also partly because of the
> "here, we'll give you several ways to do it!" approach.

True, but...

> If there are strong reasons for it to be in the core, then I
> suspect it would need to be sufficient to be the "official"
> VH solution and we'd want to deprecate the existing things.
> That means that it will need to be well documented, and we'll
> need to produce the needed deprecation docs, transition guides,
> etc.

Replacing VirtualHostMonster with VirtualHostFolder (via deprecation,
etc.) might be a good decision but please remember those of us
who need to use the SiteRoot/access rule combo to do more than
can be done with the higher level tools.  SiteRoots and access rules
are primitives that can not be replaced by higher level simple
tools.

Dan Pierson