[Zope-dev] Speaking of 2.6...

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:54:12 -0600

On 4/17/02 9:56 AM, "Gary Poster" <garyposter@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 April 2002 11:48 am, Brian Lloyd wrote:
>
>> Ok :) As far as "vetting" virtual host folder, my concerns
>> boil down to:
>>
>>   a. dependency / requirement for ordered folder
>>
>>   b. having yet another virtual host thing in the
>>      core will confuse people

> Hey Brian.  Thanks for your response.
>
> All points understood and appreciated.
>
> And I guess, then, that I'll choose not to make that commitment, since I'm
> looking forward to Zope3 these days anyway.
>
> If folks still want OrderedFolder (or, at least ordering capability) in the
> core I'm still willing to help with that.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up for inclusion earlier.  When
showing a site to some top-management folk in a previous life, the question
that came up most often was "can we organize those links on the side so that
blablabla is first?".  One person would ask it, I'd respond with the "hmmm,
not easily - at least, not in time for our deployment date".  Then the next
person would come in late to the meeting, ask the same question, we'd laugh
and tell them the scenario - "to make admin easy, it's just listing the
documents in that folder that are public, using the API's already
available!".  They'd go OK.  The tour continued.  Another straggler comes
in, the loop repeated itself...  :).

For "add-to-the-core" functionality, I'll vote +0.5.  I wouldn't mind seeing
it in the core, but I also like the idea someone mentioned of a sort of
"expansion pack" of other good products that was well maintained alongside
each core release.

--
Jeffrey P Shell
www.cuemedia.com