[Zope-dev] PHP vs Zope cost benefit

William Trenker wtrenker@shaw.ca
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:47:27 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_hZ9y+5u+f4BXUsDuh41+yA)

I have only minor experience with PHP so this may be ignorant, but isn't
programming a web application with PHP scripts more comparable to
programming such an application with Python scripts?  If PHP scripts are
handling HTTP requests directly, that can also be done with pure Python
scripts.  But if I have to put together a comprehensive web application I'm
going to be developing a lot of scripts, unless I use an integretaed,
pre-made package of scripts.  But then, that is really what Zope is, isn't it?

Call me confused,
Bill

At 10:17 AM 4/23/02 -0700, you wrote:

>I am not a PHP guy by any means, but I imagine having to run an
>extra server (Apache, Postgres vs Apache, Zope, Postgres) means
>there is another server process to watch, manage,
>start/restart.  You don't have to do those things with PHP
>scripts.
>
>Perhaps someone with experience with a larger PHP
>implementation under their belt could let us know.
>
>On Tuesday 23 April 2002 9:46 am, you wrote:
> > >  Plus the over head of running Zope instances is greater
> > > than PHP scripts.
> >
> > Is this really ture for anything non-trivial?

"The commandments of the LORD are right, bringing joy to the heart. The
commands of the LORD are clear, giving insight to life . . . For this is
the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are
not burdensome." (Psalm 19:8, 1John
5:3)    <http://torahteacher.com/>torahteacher.com

--Boundary_(ID_hZ9y+5u+f4BXUsDuh41+yA)

---