[Zope-dev] PHP is to Perl as Java is to C++

Stefan Bund sbund@artec-berlin.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:41:01 +0200

"Don Hopkins" <xardox@mindspring.com> writes:
> The fact that sombody's invested years in learning C++ or Perl is no
> justification for spreading the disease, when there are better more
> appropriate solutions available for free.

accepted.

Nicola Larosa <nico@tekNico.net> writes:
> This is great advocacy, but maybe a little too inflammatory, and "spreading
> the disease" is going a little too far. Anyway, I mostly agree on what you
> said, as most around here, I presume.
>
> The problem is, these points are true from the general point of view, but
> are unhelpful, and probably dangerous, when you have to confront developers
> already attached to such broken languages.

Or decision makers, who decide development Platforms for a Project
(which most often are *not* the developers).

I am not free to choose my Platform. It's sad, but it's a fact. If I
could, I would do most of my development in lisp (I love it). But its
neigh impossible to get someone to support lisp. Especially when you
are forced to interface with the (non)standards of some unnamed
proprietary entity ;-/... So most of the Time, the choice of
languge/development Platform is by what is supported by the necessary
surrounding technologies. At least that's how it is here.

Stefan.