[Zope-dev] passive FTP to Zope with a specified port-range

Mr Tobias Schiebeck tobias.schiebeck@man.ac.uk
06 Aug 2002 09:22:45 +0100

Hi Brad,

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 15:26, Brad Clements wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2002 at 11:53, Mr Tobias Schiebeck wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to modify the zope ftp-access to specify a port range
> > within the server selects the ports for the passive ftp communication
> > with the ftp-clients. This is in order to have the Zope server behind
> > a firewall blocking more then the privileged ports only.
>
> This feature has already been added to Zope 2.6 as a patch.
>
> I originally added it to Zope 2.5, so I think you can just copy the 2.6 ftp_server from
> CVS and drop it into your current Zope to get it to work.

I tried to backport this feature into Zope 2.5 but had not much luck
with it. Using this patch trough a firewall does not work properly,
as the server in the end uses the fall-back situation using bind
without a specified port. This means in the end the server allocates
a port which is again outside the provided port-range and therefore
blocked by the firewall. It seems I have to open the unpriviliged
ports on the Zope server.

Tobias Schiebeck                           tobias.schiebeck@man.ac.uk
International AVS Centre              Manchester Visualization Centre
http://www.iavsc.org                          tel: (+44) 161-275-6870