[Zope-dev] Memory Leaks

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:51:57 -0400

jeremy@alum.mit.eduThomas Olsen wrote:
> On Tuesday July 23 2002 12:37, Stefan H. Holek wrote:
>
>>I do also see the ZPT expression stuff leaking. In my case in this order:
>>
>>Products.PageTemplates.Expressions.SubPathExpr
>>Products.PageTemplates.Expressions.PathExpr
>>Products.PageTemplates.ZRPythonExpr.PythonExpr
>

> This is usually what I see but today I noticed this in debug info after the
> site had been running for a couple of hours - it doesn't look good :-(:
>
> RestrictedPython.compiler_2_1.misc.Set: 37488
> RestrictedPython.compiler_2_1.pycodegen.CodeGenerator: 18123
> RestrictedPython.compiler_2_1.pyassem.Block: 14876
> RestrictedPython.compiler_2_1.ast.Const: 12063
 > (...)

Do you have Python's cyclic garbage collector enabled?  It's required
for Zope 2.4 and above, primarily because the compiler package used by
Zope makes lots of cyclic references and never cleans them up.

You know, I never thought of this before, but we could perhaps manually
clean up the cyclic references made by the compiler package.  It would
probably be easy.  Goodness, why did this never occur to me? :-)

Shane