[Zope-dev] A Modest Proposal Concerning Monkey Patches

Adrian Hungate adrian@haqa.co.uk
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:08:21 +0100

Hmm... that is not good. I can't see you getting an API to change a DTML
file. The only option would be to create the ObjectManager's contents page
from python, and people seem not to like doing that, but it would allow a
little more engineering to take place.

Hmmm...

It looks as though what is needed is fish-bowl proposal to redesign the way
ObjectManager handles and displays rows for specific object types - the
requirement being that this be third-party-pluggable (For want of a better
term). (No that was not me volunteering - too much on at the moment, sorry).

One question about zshell though, what is the box that is added "left of the
add product pulldown"? Is it something that ABSOLUTELY has to be on the
contents listing (i.e. something to do with creating or maintaining the
objects listed?). Could it be backdoor'd into all_meta_types so that it,
itself is listed in the pulldown, or could it have a ZMI tab of it's own
(Both of these are easier than live patching the DTML)?

Adrian...

--
Adrian Hungate
EMail: adrian@haqa.co.uk