[Zope-dev] Zope Binary Release Changes for Zope 2.6

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:49:57 -0400

Nagarjuna G. wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 12:21:22PM -0300, Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
>

>>I don't see why the fuss. Compiling Python/Zope against RedHat 7.2
>>doesn't keep it from running under Debian. Even though Debian 3.0 runs
>>glibc 2.2, a glibc2.1 binary should be able to run without problems.
>>Specially since there isn't any C++ code in Zope, which is usually the
>>major source of incompatibilities between different library versions.
>>Glibc is reasonably upward compatible AFAIK.
>>
>>Mentioning RedHat 7.2 as the building platform is just a short way of
>>saying that the Zope binary will expect to find libc version X, libm
>>version Y, libpthread version Z, etc, etc. If you have these or better
>>versions of your basic libraries, you don't have to worry what distro
>>you're running.
>>

>Do we know of any failures of zope in other platforms?  If not why
>mention only RH 7.2?  That is the point.  In fact we will be gaining
>greater ground and support if we mentain that Zope is distro
>independent, infact it is OS independent.  Dependencies certainly have
>to be met for any application, not merely with Zope.
>
>Nagarjuna

The target binary will be built on RedHat 7.2 is what that means. It is
likely to be compatible with most recent distributions.   Leonardo had
it correctly, if I say "Red Hat 7.2" it implies a particular mix of
libraries -- since we do not package in RPM format, the actual build
distribution is relevant only for knowledge about its libraries.

While I am supportive of people who want to insure binary compatibility
with other distributions, I'm not intersted in diverting into a question
of "whos distribution is best/most appropriate/has the most fabulous
license" etc.

As always, the source distribution will work anywhere you have Python
and a C compiler to build the extensions.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/