[Zope-dev] Browser Stop Button and Zope REQUESTs

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:49:01 +0100

I know I'm late in on this thread, but I thought I'd throw in my views.

I'd like to see the REQUEST be flat plain aborted when someone hits the stop
button or the connection dies.

I don't is the is context.REQUEST.RESPONSE.isClientConnected() really working.
How would I plug this in an expensive SQL SELECT/JOIN? Why do we need this extra
programming overhead?

As for the long running administrative tasks, I actually see the ability to
bugger off and leave them running as an extremely bad thing. Say I hit 'pack' on
a big fat ZODB. I then go somewhere else. How do I now tell when its done? The
only was would be to go and look at 'top' and guess which python thread is doing
the pack and wait till its CPU usage drops to zero. That's pretty ropey ;-)
For the same reason, I hate ZEO's pack's possibility of returning before a pack
is finished.

If you do a pack, I really think you should wait for the browser to return. If
the browser times out, then use something like wget. If I hit 'stop', the pack
should abort.

As a parting example, what happens if I accidentally start a pack? How can I
stop it? ;-)

cheers,

Chris