[Zope-dev] Slow zope on windows 2000?

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:46:47 -0400

One thing to remember is that running multi-treaded Python apps on a=20
multi-processor box is suboptimal unless you can bind all the threads to =
a=20
single processor, due to the Python GIL.

So, I'm not surprised that a 800MHz Athlon outperforms a dual 1GHz Piii w=
ith=20
Zope, regardless of OS. As for Oracle, I cannot say.

The only way to do a true comparison would be to run the same tests on th=
e=20
same app on the same hardware with the same load but with different OSes.

One other difference is classically due to a more efficient select mechan=
ism=20
on Unix than Windows (ala asyncore), making multitasking more efficient o=
n=20
*nix. However, I don't know if that's true anymore post-NT4.

-Casey

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 12:44 pm, Adrian Hungate wrote:
> From: "Shane Hathaway" <shane@zope.com>
> > Adrian Hungate wrote:
> > > From: <mart@eastsite.nl>

> ZCatalog.
> > >

> > > Very much so! On a Win2k with Dual P3 1Ghz Zope runs slower than th=
> same
> > > install on a Linux box with 1 P133 !!!! (I have tested this on mult=
iple
> > > different configurations and every time it comes out the same)
> >
> > How can that be?  If anything, Zope should run just slightly faster o=
> > Windows, since VC++ produces more optimized code than GCC 2.x, result=
ing
> > in higher pystones.
> >
> > Could it be that one of the optional C extensions isn't working on
> > Windows?  (I have a Win NT CD and plenty of HD space but no desire to
> > install it. ;-) )
>=20
> I'm not sure that is the case you know. Oracle 9i Linux is faster on my
> Linux Athlon 800 than the same release on my Win2k Dual Piii 1GHz.
>=20
> Also my Win box has 1Gb ram, while my Linux box has only 512Mb...
>=20
> VC++ does optimise some operations better than GCC (This is well docume=
nted)
> but that does not make up for the OS it is running on.
>=20
> Generally my experience has been that although Windows sometimes _feels=
_
> faster, in my experience, in _practical_ tests other OS's have _always_
> out-performed it. Windows Explorer may be faster than MacOS finder, or =
GMC