[Zope-dev] Zope Book call for assistance

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
05 Dec 2002 23:20:31 -0500

Hi,

Time has rolled around for me to ask for assistance with editing the
most recent edition of the Zope Book.  A "2.6 edition" of the Zope Book
exists at
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/index_html.
It has many new chapters and a most existing chapters have been
rewritten and extended.  But it's not finished and I'd really like this
Zope Book edition to be the "current" edition by the time Zope 2.6.1
comes out.

If anyone has the time and inclination to edit and extend one of the
following chapters of the 2.6 edition Zope Book, you will be rewarded
with a glowing mention in the Preface of the book.  If you
professionally edit two chapters, you'll be considered a coauthor and
your name will go on the header.  That'd be nice on a resume, I'd
imagine.

Maintaining Zope:
<http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/MaintainingZope.stx >

Extending Zope (ZClasses):
<
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/CustomZopeObjects.stx >

Relational Database Connectivity:
<
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/RelationalDatabases.stx >

Users and Security:
<
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/Security.stx

Advanced DTML:
<
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/AdvDTML.stx

Searching and Categorizing Content (ZCatalog):
<
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/SearchingZCatalog.stx >

Advanced Zope Scripting:

<
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ScriptingZope.stx >

"Editing and extending" these chapters means:

 - Downloading the source version of the chapter via the "STX
   source" link at the top of the page.

 - Addressing all the comments in the section (by deleting
   the extraneous ones and answering via narrative in
   the document the meaningful ones).

 - Extending the chapter based on your own personal
   experience.

 - Optionally re-screenshotting and renumbering the figures
   based on the format of the already re-screenshotted Basic Objects
   chapter (I can do this as well if you can't, as long
   as I know what needs to be done).

 - Sending the edited source back to me for inclusion
   into the Book.

Thanks much!

- C