[Zope-dev] Zope 2.6.0 ZMI Problem for CJK(Collector 623) patch.

Kazuya FUKAMACHI kf@atransia.co.jp
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:20:44 +0900

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:52:06 -0800
Heiichiro NAKAMURA <nheiich@quantumfusion.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:52:09 +0000
> Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 10 December 2002 12:03 am, Kazuya FUKAMACHI wrote:
> > > On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:18:26 -0800
> > >
> > > http://www.etforecasts.com/pr/pr1202.htm
> > >
> > > At least 21.91% of Internet users are CJK users.
> > > (Japan + China + South Korea + Taiwan)
> > > Since using UTF-8 for their pages is still not in common
> > > in these area, it is preferable to accomodate such workaround.
> >
> > I dont follow the logic here. Using unicode in the server doesnt force you to
> > use utf8 in the browser.

As far as Toby's approach does not force me to use utf8 on ZMI,
using unicode internally might not be a big problem, maybe.
I say 'maybe', because I still cannot correctly grasp how far
new features' unicode objects will make an effect on legacy code.
So, I just worrying about.

Thank you, Heiichiro.

What you wrote 1)-4) is nearly what I think.
Regardig 5)-7), it's not exactly same with my opinion.
I have an ambivalent opinion about using of Unicode.
But, for the moment, it's not essential issue here,
I'm not going to discuss now. Thanks, anyway.

>    5) Therefore, they have to use 8bit-string object in order to
>       use their language text in Zope.
>    6) If we could use UTF-8 without trouble in any situation, things
>       are much easier since you can assume anything in Unicode like:
>       <input name="var1:utf8:ustring">,
>       REQUEST.set('management_page_charset','UTF-8'),
>       RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Type','text/html; charset=UTF-8'),
>       "Text is handled as Unicode Object in Zope internal",
>       But it's just a fantasy that I18N engineers often stick to.
>    7) Overall, the only practical way for them is not to use Unicode
>       in Zope and deal with text as raw 8bit string.

Regards,
Kazuya Fukamachi