[Zope-dev] ClientCache and Large Files

Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:40:20 -0800

This sounds like the most appropriate solution, as long as you are careful
to make sure that Squid or other forward cache is configured to cache files
that large, it isn't likely going to be by default.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Casey Duncan [mailto:casey@zope.com]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 8:21 AM
To: Guido van Rossum; Brian R Brinegar
Cc: zope-dev@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] ClientCache and Large Files

On Monday 16 December 2002 10:53 am, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > We're running ZEO with Zope 2.5.1. We currently have a ZEO Cache
> > (ClientCache) of 200 meg. Occasionally someone will download a 300
> > meg file that completely blows away the client cache. Is there a way
> > to prevent this?

You're best bet would be to put a proxy cache in front of Zope. Zope's not
very efficient at serving big static files like this compared to Apache or
squid.

> I'm afraid not; this isn't a very typical use case.  You could
> implement a file size limit, or increase the cache size to be more
> than twice the largest expected dowload (the cache is implemented as
> two files, each of which is limited to half the nominal cache size).

I think it would be nice to be able to control cacheability of certain
objects. However it smells like a YAGNI, especially with good front end
caches that can take care of it.

-Casey