[Zope-dev] PDF-specific Bug in the ZServer implementation??? Or just strange behavoiur of IE?

Derek Simkowiak dereks@realloc.net
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:49:59 -0800 (PST)

-> > Any hints on that?

	The failure to open a PDF can be caused by the browser never
knowing that file is all done downloading.

	If Zope is running on WindowsNT and you're using Solaris (either
as the workstation or else as an HTTP proxy) then you may be getting a
rare bug between the WindowsNT and Solaris TCP/IP stacks.  The Solaris
packet sends an out-of-order FIN (or was it just a FIN with no data?
Can't remember) and the WindowsNT stack never closes the connection, NOR
does it acknowledge the last packet before the FIN, so you wind up just
stuck.  I.e., you'll see a failed PDF download.  Sun and MS both know
about this, but neither will claim responsibility.

	I don't remember the exact details, but we saw this problem a few
months ago.  It was more prevalent with PDFs than anything else because of
large filesize and the fact that I.E. must spawn the PDF "control" (aka
'widget') with the browser.

	Just a thought.

--Derek