[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Error on install

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:25:36 -0500

Eron Lloyd wrote:

>Chris (or anybody else),
>
>Have you tried to install Beta4 using the linux binary package yet? I'm
>trying to write a patch against it but the installation does in fact bomb out
>each time I try to run it, even freshly untarred. The source TGZ works fine
>and dandy, however. It seems compilezpy.py has been dramatically changed
>since Beta3, as if to try and surpress the stdout messages. I'm going to try
>and break it down and find out where the exceptions are flagging, and also
>refactor my patch so it doesn't depend on the changes being made to
>compilezpy.py. I don't like wrapping a gag around code if I don't have to,
>and I'd rather this stuff be written to an install log or something.
>
>I-see-a-fishbowl-proposal-for-a-new-installer-ly yours,
>
>Eron

Hi Eron,

One of the engineers snuck in a last minute change to "fix" the install
process to not install if compilation of any module fails.  However, the
test suite for Python itself has some modules that don't compile, and
they're causing the newly "fixed" installer to complain.

In the file inst/compilezpy.py, you can delete the section that says
(starting at about line 45):

    if not success:

to the end of the file and rerun the install program.

This one was particularly aggravating because the beta 4 release is only
supposed to include bugfixes, not 'features'.  Clearly, I distingush
between a bug fix which fixes an existing problem causing Zope to not
work vs a feature which causes an otherwise working Zope to cease
functioning.  :)