[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope-CMF] i18n for CMF And Plone, backporting i18n to Zope 2.x

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:19:39 -0400

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Seg 01 Jul 2002 15:26, Jim Fulton wrote:
> | I'll add that the current ZPT implementation is too slow
> | (thanks to recent DTML speedups ;).
> |
> | ZPT needs to be as fast as or faster than DTML.  It would be
> | great if it was cleaner and more pluggable.
> |
> | Jim
>
> I remember that i had the same concern when discussing this with lalo, and he
> told me that this should be faster, as TAL-Current stores a binary
> representation of the XML Parsed source, and his version is based on PAX, and
> this would not need to be pre-compiled and stored. Unfortunately I cannot
> give more information as this explanation seemed fine to me at that time.

I'm far less concerned with parsing speed than with execution speed. I find it
hard to believe that an implementation that parses every time a page is rendered
will be faster than an implementation that renders from a compiled form.

Jim